Wednesday, October 19, 2011

33 Reasons Why I Adore My 33-Year-Old

On October 22, 1978 a blue eyed boy measuring 19.5 inches & weighing 7 lbs., 2 oz. was born who would someday become my 6' 2" best friend, my hubby, my babies' daddy, and my companion until the end.  In honor of dear hubby's birthday I feel compelled to share with the world some of the random things that I absolutely adore about him, and whether you know him or not you may be amused:
1.  He shares my love for The Beatles.  John is also his favorite.  This tidbit is the reason we were introduced, and the reason we'll still need each other when we're 64.

2.  His Type B personality helps to keep my highly Type A in check.  He adds some Yang to my Yin.  "Yang" refers to the sunny side, & coincidentally one of his many nicknames in life was "Sunshine."
3.  He will forever be my high school sweetheart.  Yes, people snicker when we confess this, and we've been told too many times that it's rare that these couples make it.  We'd like to think that perhaps we'll break the mold as we truly were M.F.E.O. (as no one else could really live with either of us...just kidding, of course).
4.  His undying devotion to Clemson football surely is impressive, especially when he shatters pocket radios into a gazillion bits in the stadium (probably due to one of Ron Cherry's terrible calls).  It's a fact that he bleeds orange, and he is definitely NOT a fair weather fan like those Cocky Roosters.

5.  Albeit rare these days he's been known to snore down the walls, sleep walk, sleep fight, sleep talk and sleep eat.  Ask him about White Cheddar Popcorn.  I do adore this until a shove comes my way; it's entertaining to shove back, especially at 3:00 a.m.
6.  He LOVES "Back to The Future," but I do not.  Sci-fi (& Doc) ain't my thing, but 50's McFly is oddly cute, and it's hard to dislike a movie with Huey Lewis songs gracing the soundtrack.  Quantum Leap is also a favorite of his.  If time travel were possible, then Josh would be a great candidate.
7.  We were best friends first, and we excelled at cutting school & taking road trips to the bowling alley, W.H., or Clemson.  He once cut school with a gal pal of mine, but met me at my car after school with a present, a Lennon t-shirt.  Fifteen years later it still hangs in my closet, and we're still pretty good at taking road trips, especially to Clemson.  {Kids, cutting school is bad.}
8.  He shares my fondness for bowling, and he even worked at a bowling alley when we were newlyweds.  That's right, Daddy once disinfected stylish neon shoes for a living while Mommy attempted to teach rambunctious, pubescent youth who are eerily in today's workforce.  I miss the care-free bowling league days.
 
9.  He embraces his inner-hippie just like me, and once wore the lovely thrift store purchases I would add to his wardrobe.  Corduroy & that fat tie I bought for him will may a comeback...and if not we can always wear them to Phish shows.  Where's that orange VW bus we're supposed to have bought by now?
10.  His intricate wisdom of seemingly all things on and out of this Earth still amazes me to this day.  He is quite the TEDster, and he'll even explain carbon nanotubes to your listening ears.  He did this to me last night just as I was bed bound...urgh...
11.  When he gets fixated on a task it may take a while but the task will get done right.  However anything requiring directions will probably not be complete without a few choice words about what a P.O.S. the item is.  This applies to cribs, beds, TV cabinets, bikes, toys, etc.  A trait we don't share = patience for diagrams & directions.
12.  #11 just reminded me of the "Perfect Pancake" episode...ask him how a hole ended up in one of our old apartment's kitchen walls...yes, even that episode & similar episodes have added to my adoration for him.
13.  He has the best dimpled grin, & hopefully it's gleaming as he reads this.
14.  His eyes charm me everyday as do those of our kiddos.  I can see their daddy smiling back at me in their eyes sometimes.
15.  He does have wavy hair that I'd love to see long, perhaps in retirement when we live in Asheville again...
16.  He's a man of ever changing facial hair, but he does not take the grooming of it to the level of a Backstreet Boy.  I like his 5:00 shadow and the fact that he grows a mountain man beard every winter.
17.  He's never complained that I claimed the best chair in our living room shortly after I bought it for him.
18.  He sleeps with just as many "huggie pillows" as I do.
19.  He is skilled at making beer.  While it makes a royal mess, takes up a lot of space, and turns our kitchen/garage upside down, I respect his hobby and I've enjoyed most of the fruits of his labor (the purple Blueberry Wheat...not so much...).  Someday we'll have that microbrewery...
20.  While I sometimes hear many voices in my head, he's generally the voice of reason.
21.   The most frequently used pet name he has for me is "dork."  He knows I'm proud of my dorkdom, and he respects that I sometimes enjoy flying my freak flag at full mast.  Going against the grain is healthy, and he knows I fully apologize for any embarrassment I impart.
22.   We both play well with others until we challenge each other to Scattergories or Scrabble.  War nearly ensues as apparently we're quick to have petty disagreements over word choice...Together we'll beat anyone in Taboo though!  Our mere telepathy makes Taboo too easy for us (My favorite example of this was as follows --  My clue = "I hate this."  Josh's correct guess = "Ham!").
23.  We've helped each other's pallets evolve.  Gone are the days of Ramen & Hamburger Helper.  He now eats mushrooms, olives, and onions thanks to my pushing, and thanks to him I've tried (but didn't like) antelope, duck, scallops, and gator...I still refuse venison, any meats served raw, & HAM, and he knows to dial down the taste testing pressure with these things.  Oh, and I'd never try his beloved "bologna bowls."
24.  He's a safe driver...most of the time...just don't wheel into a parking space that he's calmly waiting for...Man in the Target parking lot, you and your car are lucky I was a passenger in the car you cut off that day.  Sometimes I'm dear hubby's voice of reason.
25.  He is always "just curious," and he inspires me because he takes time to feed his big brain about the things that interest him, such as operating an all grain home brewing system, defeating the game of craps, visiting outer space, being an amateur meteorologist, being politically savvy, embracing  technological advances and reading all that he can.  He's a smart, yet cool nerd.  He's younger than me, so I can pretend I'm wiser, right?!

26.  I've referred to him as my 'ground wire' before, because well, he's grounded.  He's sensible.  You can ask him anything and generally he's a straight shooter, although I do think he occasionally is guilty of that typical male thing where he simply nods with a befuddled glance when asked a question (especially when the question is about my clothes or when a game is on).  He's the kind of H.R. guy I'd respect.
27.  Give him beer and bluegrass, and he's in all his glory...me, too.
28.  He is the family man I always knew he would be.  Our kids flock to him when he comes home.  Next to me and our dog, they're his biggest fans.   They share his love of learning, and they have learned so much from him about The Beatles, Clemson football's roster, C.J. Spiller, our President, constellations, the differences between tornadoes, tropical storms, and hurricanes, the guitar, iPad apps, maybe even home brewing...the list goes on.  He gives better airplane and horsey rides than I do.  He encourages rough housing.  He has a cooler car.  He makes time for the kids, and that time is just plain fun.  Rightfully so, the kids idolize him. 

29.  He pokes fun at my quirks & borderline OCD related to dirty dishes in the sink, paper towel/toilet paper rolls hanging a certain way, items being placed in a certain space, etc., but he politely obliges my odd hang-ups...oh, except for the time that he used my apartment key without permission  in college, rearranged the entire apartment, & hid to watch my reaction.  What a gag that was!  I was so thrilled to come home to my kitchen table in my bedroom, my curtains taken down, food in my dryer, my laundry on the floor, etc.  I laughed so hard...NOT.  That was cruel, and you bet that key was revoked.
30.  We both love to cook, and as a team we can make a mean meal.  He'll even offer to clean the kitchen, and try to do it right.  Ha - See #29.
31.  We share the same warped sense of humor.  Spare the dirty jokes, sometimes the dryer, more uncomfortable, the better.
32.  Now for the mushy stuff:  He is overly considerate, uber caring, kind, sweet, appreciative,  generous, honest, mannerly, respectful, secure, passionate, honorable, humble, a romantic, a great coach, an intellectual, a true Renaissance man, and devoted to God, his family, his children, & very lucky me.   His picture could be placed by "a good man" in the dictionary.
33.  He likes to give surprises, but he can't stand getting them.  I hope you like this one, dear.

34.  One to grow on, as they say:  This list could very easily be infinite, and that is precisely why I adore dear hubby.  And he has never faulted me for being too wordy... 

Happiest of birthdays and cheers to the man I feel blessed to have in my life.  You amuse & amaze me every day, Josh.  You are my Sunshine.

You're not quite an "Old Man," but I'll still love you when you are even if you become crotchety like me. 

5 comments:

  1. Very nice Rose! Josh, you're a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, no...never, EVER playing Scattergories with you two as a team ever again! Creepy how much shorthand you two have! Happy Birthday to Sunshine!....it's ok if that's what we call him from now on, right? Love you Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should retract the outing of "Sunshine." My sharing of this nickname was not intended to be slanderous, & I believe this nickname represents what dear hubby is when he enters a room. I am now aware that he, on the other hand, is not particularly proud of said nickname. Once again, I'm guilty of being too wordy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 33...you two are such young-uns... A beautiful tribute, Rose- I'm sure your picture can be found below "Perfect Couple" in the dictionary, too.
    Happy Birthday to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Margie, now I'm going to go vomit. I realize I may have made readers do the same, but I love this guy and well, I'm good at embarrassing him.

    ReplyDelete